Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Yosemite!

Half Dome at sunset from our campground
By: Lars
After the amazing visit to Sequoia National Park, my family and I were headed straight to Yosemite National Park. We were at Yosemite for a total of four nights. When we got there, we were trying to get a campsite in the Yosemite valley - the most popular place in the National Park - but every campsite was full (not really that surprising because Yosemite is one of the most popular National Parks in the world). Instead we stayed at a lodge in a town called Wawona (this is in the National Park but not in the valley). Fortunately, my mom and dad were able to make campground reservations for three nights in the valley the next day! The next day, we were all excited to go to the valley. When we got there, we were confronted with an amazing view of famous mountains like El Capitan and Half Dome. We also saw a wonderful waterfall called Bridal Veil Falls. We just couldn't wait to drive down into the valley and see these wonderful mountains and waterfalls up close! We were in an area called Half Dome Village. It was called that because we were camped somewhat close to Half Dome. That day we rented bikes... and when I say bikes I mean 1980 Banana bikes with no brakes on the handle bars and instead you have to pedal backwards to brake! It was fun though because we biked to what we think is the tallest waterfall in the whole National Park called Yosemite Falls. It was amazing and beautiful! That evening, my dad taught my sister and I how to set up a hammock (we got hammocks for Christmas)! The next day, we went on a 6 mile hike through 2 beautiful gushing waterfalls. The first waterfall was called Vernal Falls. The second one was further up the hike and it was called the Nevada Falls. We were planning to do a loop but the loop was closed due to rockfall and snow. So instead, we backtracked and got back in time to hang out in the hammocks. That evening, my sister and I decided to sleep in our hammocks outside for the fist time! I believe it should be a mandatory experience for everyone to enjoy! The next and last day was an exciting day... it obviously started with a hike but afterwards, my dad, my sister, and I went bouldering on some big granite boulders. If you don't know what bouldering is, it is a form of rock climbing on natural and unnatural terrain that is not high off the ground. We did this for a couple of hours and then went home tired from the active day.


Lars looking out at El Capitan, Half Dome and Bridal Veil Falls
Hammock sleeping at the campground!

























Yosemite National Park 
by Ilsa

Chaparral Tree - so much in bloom in April
Yosemite National Park was way warmer than I expected it to be. The hiking was pretty phenomenal and I am quite sure that almost every hike that we did in Yosemite had an amazing waterfall to see. The first day that we arrived was complicated. My dad thought that the campsite that we were staying in was first come first serve, but apparently it wasn't. We went to the reservations office to see if we could work something out, and we got an even better campsite in the valley! It wasn't available til the next day so my mom and I got to stay in Big Trees Lodge that was built roughly 160 years ago! My brother and my dad both parked the Scamp and slept in there for the night because there was only one queen-sized bed in the room.

On the way to Yosemite Valley, we went on a small hike in Wawona and we saw a beautiful tree called the Chaparral Tree, and after that we started seeing them everywhere. Later that evening, we rented bikes and rode around the National Park. Also, Lars and I were taught how to set up a hammock by our dad! We were going to sleep in them the first night, but then we decided to do it on the second night.  On the day that we slept in the hammocks, we went on a six mile hike to Nevada Falls! The hike was so beautiful...we got really drenched in water when we got close to the first Falls. The second Falls was at the end of our hike and was wonderful. I said "this is like a luxury spa for hikers" at the end. There were tons of boulders for Lars and I to climb on and the water was in magnificent condition for us to run in and cool our feet. The next day (after sleeping in our awesome hammocks), we went on a little walk up to inspiration point and got a good look at Yosemite. Also that day, we walked around Half Dome Village and found a good spot to go bouldering. The spot had tons of boulders that were perfect for climbing...it was a blast!

For the last and final day in Yosemite, We decided we would pack up early and head for San Fransisco. We didn't do any hiking that day which seemed pretty crazy for a Robinson, but we were able to manage.

Hopefully you have been enjoying reading our blog! - Ilsa R.  

 

Nevada Falls
The waterfalls in Yosemite were unreal - not only is it April, but a huge snow year too 


Bridal Veil Falls


4 comments:

  1. What great memories you are creating! Sleeping in a hammock
    at a National Park sounds so exciting to me! I love sleeping
    outdoors!!! I agree, Lars, it should be mandatory!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lars! I have been following up on your blog through all your hikes and camping. Today was Gage's bday, so wish him a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's creation is amazing! You are getting to experience LOTS of it first hand. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like so much fun! We also love sleeping outside in a hammock 😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete